Job Id: 1188
Software and Controls Integration & Test Lead
Large optics research projected funding by the National Science Foundation is pursuing an experienced and team-oriented Software and Controls Integration & Test Lead to work on the integration and tests of the Observatory Control System (OCS) and different Device Control System (DCS) for the observatory subsystems.
Reporting to the Software and Controls Manager, the Software and Controls Integration and Test Lead will be responsible for preparing, designing, and executing integration and test plans for the different software and controls subsystems at the observatory. These subsystems include device control systems for the primary mirror, enclosure, telescope mount, active and adaptive optics systems, metrology subsystems, and science instruments, as well as software needed for integrated observatory operations.
This position will work closely with the Software and Controls team, the Systems Engineering team and different elements to deliver and implement high-quality integration and test plans to the end users of the GMT control system.
The Software and Controls Integration and Test Lead must have equivalent experience in similar projects. Travel to Arizona, Chile and other locations will be required to test software and controls subsystems with the hardware.
- Create integration and test requirements for all software and controls subsystems
- Design and implement software integration and test plans and process workflows
- Define and provide required test hardware and software test tools
- Execute software and controls integration and test plans, and adapt as required
- Collaborate with Systems Engineering and other elements to verify that plans are complete and consistent with the overall system-level plans
- Prepare software test procedures and reports
- Lead software and controls developers to design, implement, execute, and document software and controls integration and test plans for system and subsystem design reviews
- MS in Software Engineering, Control Engineering or equivalent
- 5 years relevant experience in large telescope control systems or similar projects
- Strong knowledge of software testing strategies, tactics, techniques, and tools
- Significant experience integrating and testing complex control systems
- Relevant experience with continuous integration and regression tests
- Significant experience with software quality assurance and software quality metrics
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work with cross-functional work teams and users
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Willingness and ability to travel to foreign and domestic vendor, partner, and observatory locations as the need arises
- Experience using software verification and validation standards
- Experience with SysML and UML
- Experience in agile projects
- Previous experience in telescope control systems
Flexibility to work outside of core business hours and travel to the GMTO member locations, vendor premises and spend substantial time at the GMT site in Chile, when necessary, to accomplish goals.
Ability to work at an altitude of 8000 feet for extended periods
Please click the green APPLY button below and include your resume.