Job Id: 1080
Optical Design–Engineering Fellow
Missile systems technology is seeking an optical design and analysis Engineering Fellow who will be responsible for designing new and advanced optical sensors in support of new product.
- Lead selection of optical sensor design solutions for electro-optical products with considerations for its role in the system, all phases of engineering and production, and the product life cycle.
- Lead trade studies on various sensing systems such as aperture size, wavebands, field of view, F-number, tolerances, stray light, material selection, packaging, etc
- Support electro-optical modeling and simulation activities
- Lead development of requirements in support of optical design, stray light, etc and the requirement flow to components.
- Drive the development, implementation, verification and maintenance of optical designs in close collaboration with other disciplines to provide a mature optimized missile product
- Identify strategic optical engineering development opportunities
- Propose and lead independent research and development (IRAD) projects for the advancement of optical engineering solutions
- Ensure balance of risk, performance, and cost.
- Be accountable to leadership for technical decisions.
- Participate in major technical review boards, e.g., Failure Review Board
- Communicate and collaborate with Program Management and Technical Leadership, Engineering Leadership, Manufacturing, Suppliers, and Customers.
- Guide, apprentice, mentor, and train employees within the optical design area
- A minimum of 10 years of optical design, analysis and tolerancing experience on ultra-violet (0.3 um) through Long-Wave Infrared (14 um) optical systems
- Demonstrated experience with Code V, Zemax, FRED, or equivalent optical design tools
- Demonstrated optical fabrication, testing, and stray light knowledge from the ultra-violet through Long-Wave Infrared.
- Demonstrated ability to lead optical design teams spanning optical designers, stray light analysts, opto-mechanical engineers, detector engineers, and optical test engineers.
- Demonstrated experience leading optical design trade studies and engineering efforts involving engineers across multiple disciplines as listed abo
- Existing, or the ability to obtain, a DoD-issued Secret Security Clearance.
Required Education (including Major):
BS in Physics, Optics or other related engineering field
- MS or PhD in Physics, Optical Sciences or other related engineering field
- Experienced stray light analyst
- Experience within the aerospace industry
- Active DoD issued Top Secret security clearance
Locations: Arizona or Texas
Please click the green APPLY button below and include your resume.