Job Id: 1076
This key individual will oversee a team of Hardware Technicians who perform electrical, mechanical and optical assembly operations in support of our research, new product development, and legacy product enhancement programs.
The Laboratory Manager will work closely with the R&D Engineers, Project Managers, and Functional Managers to effectively allocate technician resources on multiple projects to support product design, test, and troubleshooting.
The Laboratory Manager will manage the safe and efficient operation of the R&D Laboratory, ensuring good housekeeping practices and EH&S compliance are maintained. This is a “working manager” role, where time will be divided between oversight and hands-on technician assignments.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Oversee a team of Hardware Technicians in the electrical, mechanical, and optical design support of research, new product development, and legacy product enhancement programs.
- Estimate and assign Hardware Technician resources to multiple projects and initiatives. Ensure assigned tasks are completed on schedule, and with the necessary quality and performance requirements.
- Manage the R&D Laboratory and equipment, ensuring consistent availability, good housekeeping practices and EH&S compliance are maintained. Maintain a safe work environment and proactively identify opportunities for improvement.
- Coach and mentor staff, providing performance feedback and establishing development plans to meet current and future needs of the R&D organization.
- Facilitate the hiring of staff as necessary to achieve organizational goals.
- Perform technician support including prototype assembly, sub-assembly and unit assembly tests/calibrations, and troubleshooting and repair.
- Strong technical working knowledge of light-based products utilizing lasers and optics. Able to provide technical assistance to the technician team as required.
- Minimum of Two-year Associate’s degree (EET) or equivalent military training. Bachelor’s degree in a technical field preferred.
- 10 years or more technician experience required.
- 2 years of experience managing other technicians.
- Strong knowledge of analog and digital electronics circuitry including transistors, op-amps, logic devices, microprocessors and memory chips.
- Ability to read, understand, and explain schematic diagrams.
- Expert use of electronic test equipment such as digital multimeters and oscilloscopes.
- Experience in opto-mechanical systems and optical alignment techniques strongly desired.
- Computer proficiency and ability to use Windows and standard office software such as Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
Position: Laboratory Manager