Job Id: 1191
Integration & Test Lead Engineer
Pursuing a highly qualified Integration and Test (I&T) Lead Engineer to work on the detailed design of the telescope and ancillary hardware.
Under minimal supervision and reporting to the Project Systems Engineer, the I&T Lead Engineer will prepare observatory-level test requirements, observatory integration plans and process flows for all delivered observatory subsystems; telescope assembly, primary mirrors, adaptive optics and metrology subsystems, and science instruments. Working with System Engineering, the I&T Lead Engineer will assure that requirements and interfaces are verified on major and subsystem hardware and lead an integrated product team to design, develop and document telescope integration, alignment and test plans.
The position will require the I&T Lead Engineer to be flexible and able to work as a team with other designers, engineers and groups that require assistance.
In addition, the I&T Lead Engineer will write programmatic and technical reports and make presentations in their area of responsibility at project meetings, reviews, and conferences.
- Create observatory-level test requirements and integration plans.
- Create observatory integration plans and process flows for all delivered observatory subsystem, e.g., telescope assembly, primary mirrors, adaptive optics, metrology subsystems, science instruments, etc.
- Provide input to observatory systems to incorporate interfaces and features necessary to meet integration and test requirements
- Define scope of required I&T support hardware and software test scripts
- Verify I&T plans are complete and consistent with the Observatory Verification Plan and present Observatory I&T plans for design milestone reviews
- Work with Systems Engineering to assure that requirements and interfaces are verified on delivered observatory subsystems, e.g., telescope assembly, primary mirrors, adaptive optics, metrology subsystems, science instruments, etc.
- Lead design and development of I&T support hardware and software test scripts
- Prepare test procedures and reports
- Execute I&T plans and adjust plans as required
- Lead an integrated product team to design, develop and document telescope integration and test plans for major design reviews
- M.S. in Physics, Electrical, Optical Sciences, Mechanical or related engineering degree
- Minimum of 8 years relevant experience, which could include: observatory and instrument operations, use and operation of large ground-based observatories, space-based astronomical research telescopes, the development and commissioning of astronomical adaptive optics, instruments, systems, and subsystems.
- Significant experience in telescope systems and operations, scientific instruments, creating test requirements, developing integration plans, mission operations and architecture, and meeting system verification plans of a large observatory
- Experience leading a team and resolving complex issues on large telescopes, managing and commissioning of major telescope systems and subsystems
- Ability to manage the technical performance of large telescope systems and document system performance
- Ability to utilize software programs to create test procedures, integration, verification and operation plans and create process flows
- Excellent verbal, presentation and writing skills, particularly related to the production and presentation of reports and documentation for design reviews
- Previous experience working as a member of a project team with engineers, scientists and scientific personnel
- Organizational and interpersonal skills, particularly being reliable and proactive in dealing with others
- Ability to be flexible in an environment of changing priorities and working on multiple areas of the project
PhD in Physics, Electrical, Optical Sciences or related engineering degree with a minimum of 8 years of post-doctoral experience with observatory and instrument operations in the use and operation of large ground-based observatories or space-based astronomical research telescopes and the use of astronomical adaptive optics, optical/IR, infrared astronomical instrumentation, systems and subsystems
Please click the green APPLY button below and include your resume.